Last night I was craving a hearty winter salad to go with the tomato soup my boyfriend, Jay, cooked the previous night. I went to Whole Foods to see what looked tasty and fresh. I spotted a bag of Brussels sprouts and immediately decided I wanted to try a shaved Brussels sprout salad. I had quinoa at home that I knew I would add to the salad for some heartiness and protein. I also picked up an avocado, a tomato and some goat cheese (yum!).
I have never made shaved Brussels sprouts but it was quite easy. To make the shaved Brussels sprouts:
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts
- Slice off the woody stems
- Tear of the outer leaves that may be bruised and toss them
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half down the center (top to bottom)
- Shred them! Turn the sprouts cut-side down, and shred them by thinly slicing them cross-wise from root to top.
I added cooked red quinoa, diced tomato, sliced avocado and sprinkled some goat cheese on top.
To dress the salad, I tossed with lemon pepper, garlic salt, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
This was such an easy salad to make and so delicious for a cold night especially when you have a cup of tomato soup to pair it with!